Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cake Balls


I had never heard of these until several months ago when a friend made them for a weekend trip, but it seems that they have become quite popular recently. They are super yummy, and so easy to make. If you google "cake balls recipe," you will probably find pages and pages of recipes. Some may vary slightly, but they all have three staple ingredients:

Cake Mix
One container pre-made frosting
Candy Melts

I bought the candy melts at Michael's in their cake decorating section. They come in lots of different colors and several flavors. I bought the plain "candy" flavor, and mint chocolate, because I just couldn't resist.



To make them, bake the cake according to the cake mix directions. I just used a plain yellow cake. After it has cooled, break it up into small pieces in a big bowl.







 Then, mix in the frosting. (I used chocolate.) After mixing in the frosting, I put the mixture in the fridge for a few hours to harden it up a little bit to make it easier to mold.






Form the cake and frosting mixture into about 1-inch balls.









Melt the candy melts in a bowl in the microwave, according to the package directions. Dip the cake balls into the melted candy coating and place them on a sheet of wax paper. (I used two toothpicks to help remove the cake from the bowl to minimize imperfections in the coating, then just covered up the any small marks left by the toothpicks.)

Let them cool completely. And voila! Delicious bite-sized treats at your fingertips! (Beware...these are dangerous!)



Now that I have the basics down, next time I make these I'll probably play around with the flavors a little bit more. You can make them in so many different ways - flavor combinations, colors, themes for holidays, events, etc. The possibilities are endless!









No comments:

Post a Comment