Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Crock Pot Apple Butter

Apple butter is something that I have always enjoyed, but never thought to make myself until I came across a recipe for "All Day Apple Butter." I was skeptical of whether or not it would be as good as the apple butter I remember having on my toast as a kid. Good news - it is! I made a few modifications to the original recipe, which are reflected below.


Ingredients:
5 lbs apples - I used a mix of half Granny Smith and half Gala
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

To begin, slice, core and peel all of the apples. Finely chop apples into small pieces.


Mix together white and brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, salt and vanilla extract in a bowl.


Place the apples in the crock pot, and cover with sugar mixture.

 
Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook for 9 to 11 more hours, stirring occasionally. The mixture should be dark brown. To be honest, it won't look that appetizing (as seen in this photo), but it will smell heavenly!


Use a food processor to smooth out the mixture into the apple butter texture you will probably recognize. 

Spoon the mixture into containers (or right onto a piece of toast), and refrigerate or freeze. I canned mine to be able to preserve it, and not have to refrigerate it. Canning is a great way to make yummy homemade gifts as well. There are lots of resources online to learn how to can foods. Here's just one.




No comments:

Post a Comment