Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Couscous Stuffed Chicken

I love couscous, and I love chicken stuffed with goodness, so when I saw this recipe it looked like the perfect combination. The original recipe is from Cooking Light, and can be found here. I really didn't change it all that much. The only things I did differently were omit the kalamata olives (I'm not such a fan of these), and add in some pine nuts to the couscous stuffing. I also only made two chicken breasts, but still made the original amount of couscous stuffing. I did have a little extra at the end, but it's delicious on it's own, so you can save that for leftovers the next day!


Ingredients:
1/3 cup fat free, lower sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup uncooked couscous
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
3 tbsp chopped plum tomato (I used cherry tomatoes since I already had them)
2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 minced garlic clove
1 tbsp pine nuts
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

To make couscous stuffing, bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Once it starts boiling, stir in couscous and remove from heat. Cover and let sit for about 5 minutes. Remove couscous from pan and into a small bowl. Allow to cool while you chop your veggies/herbs.






Add 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to couscous, then mix in the remaining ingredients: tomato, feta, olive oil, oregano, parsley, lemon and garlic.







Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper and pound to 1/4 inch thickness.






Add several heaping spoonfuls of couscous mixture to the chicken. Sprinkle a few pine nuts on top of stuffing on each piece of chicken and roll up, securing with wooden toothpicks. Place in a greased cooking dish, and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.Pour about 1/4 cup chicken broth in the pan to keep the chicken moist.


The original recipe called for browning the chicken in a pan and then placing it in the oven, but I didn't want to lose the stuffing so I skipped the skillet step and just baked it in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the chicken is done.


No comments:

Post a Comment